Saturday, January 6

The Latest Chapter - January 2007

Let's make it clear: I never wanted to move. I liked where I was. But sometime in October of 2006 I got pushed off on the latest of my foster homes.

It may look as if I am a happy fellow here but this is far from the truth. I was unceremoniously kept in a drafty and often damp garage. Officially I was told this was just a temporary situation until my new foster parents could find "an appropriate place" for us to sit.

I knew what they were really thinking. More t
han once I heard comments such as, "Maybe this IS the appropriate place." And "Maybe we can put this box in the basement closet."

At least no one suggested taking us to the town dump. (Been there. Done that.)

Needless to say Elmira and I were really tempted to jump ship and find a more appreciative family.

Then I started hearing that we would be the centerpiece of a big party to be held January 5, 2007. Our spirits lifted and we began to anticipate the party.

We had heard about these parties. It seems this family has been doing this for 22 years and each year there is so much food and drink that it eclipses the food and drink situation in many developing countries.

As the party date came nearer, Elmira and I remained in the garage. Maybe we were being forgotten.


AGAIN!

Then suddenly our box was moving and without one drink I had a lampshade on my head. (They do things differently in Washington.) We got placed on a beautiful teak serving table in a sunroom with plenty of light.

This is more like it.

We may not be in the entrance way, where a tasteful stud like me should always be, at least we are out of the garage and help light up an otherwise dark room at night.

We started to get nervous again when we noticed that the so-called sunroom looked more like a glass-enclosed storage room.

Once again providence came to our rescue. All the stored stuff got moved out. Some, I heard was headed for a charity and other things got distributed around the house and into basement storage.


Then, and here is the great part, the bar got set up within eye sight. Just across from me is one of the best collections of hootch that I have ever seen. I guess our job is to watch over the drinks to make sure the teenagers don't sneak a shot or two.

And as the party date approached, Elmira got a dressing up. And, as you can see, she and I are very happy about the situation.

I'll let you know how the party goes and how well this family treats me. I keep hearing I will be getting a passport. That ought to be fun. Then maybe I can visit my relatives in New Mexico.

I'll also keep asking my foster family to get my history posted here so that everyone will learn more about my fascinating history.












No comments: