Sunday, January 7

The party - January 6, 2007


It was a hell of an event last night.

About 100 people filed past Elmira and me the afternoon and evening of January 6. The party must have included 100 people during its scheduled five hours. (Of course, it's not like the five hour rule really held firm and hard.)

The reason I was able to see everyone who came in for the party was because my foster family wisely put the bar near me. I say wisely because I am sure my steely gaze and wizened face kept more than one person for imbibing too much of the fruit of the grape (or hops, or sour mash, etc.) I saw there was even a bowl of non-alcoholic eggnog. Who would ever consider such a sacrilege but it was popular with the pregnant women, with the guys trying to cut back on their drinking, and with the kids. So I guessed it worked. Of course the eggnog was so rich I could hear arteries hardening from across the room with every sip.

I would have loved to show you pictures of the event but it seems in the rush to meet everyone and to make sure people had plenty of food and drink, no one took any pictures.

My life story -- or as much as is available -- was put next to me and a number of people stopped to read. Also throughout the night I heard brief -- and sometimes slanderous -- reports of my history and the unsual places I've been. (I still have fond memories of the dump. It was the only time I really classed up a place -- or so I have heard.)

One very nice young couple came by and read the whole history and asked many questions about my history and how I get from home to home. I was told that this young couple could soon be my next foster family. I seem to remember however that there is a generational rule about where I go. I hope this rule changes soon. I have been hanging out with so many old people that I am beginning to look young. I need youth and vitality if I am going to survive through the eons.

Anyway, back to the party.

The crowd was interesting. Had a lot of diplomats from the United States attending. And amazingly enough not one of them was drinking sherry or eating watercress sandwiches. (Not that either was being offered.) A handful of journalists were there. (They seemed to spend more time at the bar than any other group.) Neighbors showed up. People claiming to have known my foster family for more than 30 years stopped by. And then others that were hard to catagorize but no one was throwing them out so they must have belonged there.

Some of the discussions around me were pretty interesting.

The fine art of making a margarita was discussed and demonstrated at length. Some one, I think a former economist at the International Monetary Fund, commented on the numbers of words men and women use in the course of a normal day. That set off a few guys and gals around the room. That discussion went on for more than an hour -- maybe longer -- with an ever changing cast of characters.

As people drifted in and out of the room I could see lots of food. Now the food was nothing Elmira and I ever saw in our travels but I heard people telling each other what was available.

There was the standard turkey breast and ham. (I heard this was ordered from a nearby meat shop.) Then there was sata, Thai beef salad, egg rolls, fresh Vietnamese spring rolls, beef-pork fritters, lots of fruits and vegetables. And tons and tons of cookies and cakes.

Some of the sweets were gifts from the party guests but the hliday cookies, choclate chip cookies and the brownies were all made by Minia. She made all the regular food as well. (I guess she has been with my family for a while. I remember meeting her in October and her being the only one in the car the day I came to this house who showed any concern for my well being.)


So now the holiday decorations will come down and the house will return to a normal routine.

Today -- January 7 -- is the anniversary of my foster family. So they are going out for dinner with a friend. (I guess I will have to just stay home by myself and keep an eye on the sunroom.)

Lastly, I head today that part of my history will soon be posted here, so check back later.

No comments: